[llvm-dev] RFC: Improving license & patent issues in the LLVM community

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 20 09:05:16 PDT 2015

On 20 Oct 2015, at 16:59, Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if the apache 2 is compatible with the various LGPL versions?

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice:

LGPL does not impose any restrictions on the license of things that you link against it, only that everyone that you distribute the binary to is able to recompile and relink the LGPL’d part with the result.  Note: one reading of this would indicate that iOS violates this, by not allowing end users to link their own WebKit to the installed binaries, but this has not been tested in court and is not the only interpretation possible.  This highlights the problem with more complex licenses: determining exactly what is and is not allowed may require someone to take someone else to court (possibly multiple times).

David