[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Buildbot Noise

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 16 11:24:59 PDT 2015

On 16 October 2015 at 19:10, Robinson, Paul
<Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com> wrote:
> That part is cultural.

It is... :)

> Which ones are "will never work" and which are "ought to get fixed soon"?

In theory, the ones that have bugs associated with it, which is not
easy to find unless someone adds a comment with the XFAIL, which not
many people do.

I'm not saying it's better, I'm just saying how it is.

> For the people who now get impatient with red bots, there is no barrier
> to having them be impatient with orange bots.   And for the people who
> complain about irrelevant noise, there would be less of it, which will
> make them less irritating the rest of us. :-)

I honestly don't see either way as problems, so I can't tell you how
much better it would be. :)

Maybe you should talk to David directly. I really don't mind whatever
you guys choose.

> My internal dashboard has 4 values that would be meaningful upstream:
> pass, infra-failure, fail, no-new-fail. Buildbot seems to have the first
> three already; one more does not seem like an excessive conceptual burden.

We don't have the infra problem totally nailed yet, only if the bots
crash/restart, not if it's SVN or server issue. But you're right, it's
not binary.

I personally don't treat orange and red bots differently, for me the
only colour I want to see is green. But some people complain that if
they have to distinguish between different shades of red, they just
won't.

I find it an odd behaviour in a community that wants to be diverse and
"safe", to openly state you don't care about other people's problems
and think that it's the other person that should "fix", but anyway.

cheers,
--renato