[llvm-dev] ELF object writing from assembly file

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 15 09:14:53 PDT 2015

On 15 October 2015 at 04:38, Sky Flyer <skylake007 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am getting an error which says: "LLVM ERROR: unable to write nop sequence
> of 0 bytes"

Sounds like you need to implement "writeNopData" from the AsmBackend.

> Is there any way that I can print out the Obj code (I mean bitstream
> representation of the assembly code which is going to be placed in the ELF
> file), before making any ELF file?

I think it's only really produced on demand while writing the ELF
file. You might look at the output of "llc -debug", which shows some
of the intermediate data structures, none of them are really just the
instruction bits.

Cheers.

Tim.