[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 23:29:14 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
> more as her personal merit than anything else.
>
> Since we're delving into this topic...
>
> I expected the foundation to own and improve the validation
> infrastructure, and the web presence. So far I only saw Apple building
> the great GreenBot, but when I wanted to help, it seemed this would be
> something between me and on Apple employee.
>
> I also saw the migration to a new server (thanks again Tanya), but
> that's very far from providing a stable infrastructure. If Tanya is
> the only one doing things, of course she won't be able to do what we
> *need* in any reasonable time.
>

> You are totally right. I am only one person. I do have help with certain
> aspects of the machine. What I’m aiming for is group of administrators to
> handle llvm.org. But I need to move all the infrastructure over to AWS (I
> just moved the lists) and also separate out pieces of it (like perf) to
> another machine. I know that you have give me lots of advice in this area,
> and I’m sorry it hasn't been executed yet. There is a plan drafted (with
> input from more than just the board), but it has not been presented to the
> community yet.
>
> I expected the foundation sponsors to put in hardware and money to buy
> servers, Amazon cloud instances, co-host testing devices with
> universities in a way to foster inclusion and promote the project,
> etc. Things that are obvious to me, but it seems got lost in the
> foundation…
>

> I’m sorry this is the perception. This is for sure the long term plan, but
> many things have had to fall into place before . A lot of our efforts over
> the last year have been in actually establishing the Foundation as a whole.
> So this includes all the necessary legal, accounting, and other pieces in
> place. These are all the things that are not at all interesting or really
> useful for the community, but they will be in the long term.
>
> I’d really like a better way to capture all of these great ideas. I’m
> taking notes, but maybe we need another place (other than llvm-dev) that
> ideas can be shared.
>

> I also don't see any transparency, not representation. We got a memo
> that it came into existence, than nothing else. I can't find any
> document about the foundation except that blog post. As a non-profit,
> I'd expect to be public memos, checks and balances, monthly reports,
> etc.
>
> This is entirely my fault (not the board as a whole) and its something I
> have been trying to rectify. You are exactly right. Everything we are doing
> should be 100% transparent. I have all of the board meeting minutes, our
> bylaws, everything that needs to go onto the website. Its something that I
> just didn’t make a high enough priority and I’m sorry about that. I will
> try to move this to the top of the list.
>
> If anyone wants copies of anything before then, I am more than happy to
> send an email to you. Please do not hesitate to ask me.

Could you just throw stuff in the public LLVM SVN repo? Same way we have
[lld] posts or [compiler-rt] posts on llvm-commits we would have
[foundation] mailing list posts or whatever. Would also be nice in that
llvm-commits is a natural avenue to disseminate information to involved
developers.

I'd definitely click into `[foundation] rXXXXXX - LLVM Foundation Oct 13
2015 meeting minutes` or whatever to take a look (that would be quite
convenient for me actually).

-- Sean Silva