[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 12:38:10 PDT 2015

On 13 October 2015 at 20:29, Tanya Lattner <tanyalattner at llvm.org> wrote:
> No offense to the FreeBSD CoC, but I really dislike the line “Do not take it personally”. Quite often when someone is offended, the offender will justify their statements by saying “You are just taking it personally”. I find this frequently used towards women (not saying this community necessarily).

And quite often the "offender" had no idea he/she offended, and the
"offended" will justify strong measures without even asking.

There are always two sides of the same coin. You can't have one and
not the other.

All this is saying is that, by not taking offence, you will try to
understand the technical side *first*. If there isn't any, then you
will try to identify malice *second*. Only when you're sure there IS
offence, you can take actions (which normally should resort to
ignoring the argument).

cheers,
--renato