[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 10:18:49 PDT 2015

On 13 October 2015 at 18:01, Karen Shaeffer <shaeffer at neuralscape.com> wrote:
> One point that is very often misunderstood by the general population is that
> sexual orientation is referenced to the individual's gender identity. In real
> life, that can be confusing.

So, normally, you'd refer to all sex-gender-related problems as
"gender" or "sex".

The problem is the need to expand in minute details of one problem,
"gender", and not the others, for example, "culture". It's just like
this because of people's sensitivity to one topic *where* the text was
written, than the other topics, which could be much bigger in other
parts of the world.

I can think of more problems in putting everything under "culture"
than under "gender". Examples include gun ownership, death penalty,
slave labour, cast based society, imposed clothing, imposed body
mutilation, etc. All of those give rise to *very* different
discussions in diverse social groups, and you can find "socially
acceptable" people around the world that accept at least one of those,
or any combination.

I don't think we want to go there for *any* case. A simple way out is
to say: "opinions have to be based in technical merits". Which is
basically what the BSD code of conduct does very well.

cheers,
--renato