[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Florian Gilcher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 09:55:13 PDT 2015

> I have no idea what that is, but I find it interesting that Google
> renamed "bro" to "br" for the compression file because "bro"
> was too "offensive". I found "bro" quite ingenuous.

To my reading, it was an individual decision of the persons involved,
not their employer. If they don't want to venture there, let them. I don't
see how any policy was part of that discussion.

"bro" might be ingenious, but I can also see how some don't want to
be the author of "bro" on second thought. The problem with joke names
for projects might be that 10 years later, even yourself could be tired
of people greeting you with "oh, the person behind bro! :wink:
:flexes muscles:".

The whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

(The obvious problem that .br is "Brazil" is next up, but that's a different
story)

Best,
Florian