[llvm-dev] Should I worry about test failures in a release?

Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 12 08:29:20 PDT 2015

Am 12.10.2015 um 13:52 schrieb Renato Golin:
> On 11 October 2015 at 21:46, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> Since I plan to use LLVM as a backend, not hack on it, I'm not going to get
>> much joy out of TRUNK, so I reverted to 3.7.
>> Which led me to the realization that GettingStarted does not mention
>> libcxxabi.
>
> That depends on what you use. If you use libc++, then you need to
> worry about those tests.

Ah. I guess I'll want that once I have a working toolchain.

> Regarding trunk vs release, it depends on what you need. If your
> project will use LLVM for a long time (ie. if this is a serious long
> term project),

It's going to be a compiler project. The usual setup: C++ for
scanner/parser/AST/diagnostics, LLVM for the backend. Self-hosting
comiler may happen later, and will continue to use LLVM.
So my plans for using LLVM are long-term, and at least mid-term for Clang.

 > then you should follow trunk as closely as possible. If
> this is just a trial project, then following a release is better,
> because you can focus on your project only and you'll always be able
> to build it targeting a specific release in the future, not having to
> track which commits off trunk were good.

I've been planning to switch to a new release whenever it's out.
What are the advantages of following trunk?

Regards,
Jo