[llvm-dev] [Windows Installer] Headerless install package?

Jack Andersen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 11 15:34:43 PDT 2015

Hello,

I've authored a tool based on clang's libtooling and wish to make its build process similar to LLVM's via cmake on multiple platforms.

I'm primarily developing on Arch Linux (with the distribution-provided llvm) and also maintain OS X builds using the prebuilt library archive from llvm.org. The llvm packages for these platforms contain exactly what I expect: /lib, /include, /bin, /share/cmake directories of everything from a default LLVM build configuration.

When I shift my attention to Windows (building with VS) I'm unable to build my tool with the official NSIS package of LLVM for two reasons:

- include exists, but only with (incomplete) C headers, no C++ headers at all
- no cmake package/modules whatsoever

Seemingly, the only use for the official NSIS package is the clang driver and any tools that dynamically load the llvm/clang .dlls

I find this Windows deficiency rather odd, since the OS X package is complete for tool developers. I've worked around this issue by building llvm/clang on Windows myself and running CPack to produce a complete NSIS package (weighing in at ~77MB).

Is there a motivation behind the stripping of this package against tool developers? I'd like users to clone my tool source and build it quickly without building llvm in its entirety.

This issue isn't critical, just a curiosity I have.

Thanks!

-Jacko