[llvm-dev] Register Spill Caused by the Reassociation pass

Gerolf Hoflehner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 2 10:40:04 PDT 2015

This conflict is with many optimizations incl. copy prop, coalescing, hoisting etc. Each could increase register pressure and with similar impact.  Attempts to control the register pressure locally (within an optimization pass) tend to get hard to tune and maintain. Would it be a better way to describe eg in metadata how to undo an optimization? Optimizations that attempt to reduce pressure like splitting or remat could be hooked up and call an undo routine based on a cost model.

I think there is time to do something longer term. This particular instance can only be an issue under -fast-math.

Cheers
Gerolf