[llvm-dev] metabug tracking blockers for the cmake transition

Jeremy Sequoia via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Nov 29 10:58:07 PST 2015

Thanks, Chris.

No, it is certainly not a surprise.  I've known about it for a while but haven't had time to attempt the transition until Thanksgiving Holiday.  The last time I attempted the transition was with llvm-3.4; at that time, I was told that the cmake build system was not supported for darwin.

Thanks for the pointer on LLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB.  I did notice that LLVM_ENABLE_SHARED was doing something different, but I think this approach might be better for clients than what we were doing before, so I kept it.  I imagine LLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB will additionally build the umbrella dylib for compatability.

I agree that the two issues I mentioned earlier are not blockers; there are simple workarounds for them.

The new port is mostly working on Mavericks and El Capitan (and I assume Yosemite but have not checked yet).  However, it is still not building on Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion due to two different issues (one which I haven't reported yet).  On Leopard and SL, -std=c++11 isn't being passed to the compiler (presumibly I can fix that with some manual setting), and on Lion and Mountain Lion, linking libc++.dylib fails.  I haven't yet figured out a workaround for the link issue (#25666) but suspect I just need to hack up the exports file since we end up not installing the built libc++ anyways.

Sent from my iPhone...