[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introducing a vector reduction add instruction.

Cong Hou via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 25 16:33:04 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
> [...]

Right.

> Now I completely understand why the flag is useful at the SDAG level. Because SDAG is basic-block local, we can't examine the loop structure when doing instruction selection for the relevant operations composing the psadbw (and friends). We also need to realize, when lowering the horizontal reduction at the end of the loop, to lower it in some more-trivial way (right?).

The benefit of collecting the result outside of the loop is trivial
unless it is in an outer loop. And I am afraid if the reduction info
helps here as the way how the results are collected is determined
already after the loop is vectorized.

> Regarding the metadata at the IR level: the motivation here is that, without it, the SDAG builder would need to examine the uses of the PHI, determine that the only uses were shuffles and extracts representing a horizontal reduction (add, etc.), and then deduce that it could add the flag from that.

The reduction pattern detection for the vectorized loop at this point
can be difficult for the following reasons:

1. The vectorized code outside of the loop which collects results in
the vector into a scalar can be messy. For example, there may be many
shuffles, which is not straightforward to understand (although it is
still possible to detected them).

2. After loop unrolling, the reduction operation is duplicated several
times but the phi node is not. We should be able to detect all those
unrolled reductions but this task is also challenging.

3. We need to make sure there is no other uses of the result of the
reduction operation (those operations after loop unrolling is an
exception, where the result can be used by another copy of the same
reduction operation).

However, all those information can be easily obtained during loop
vectorization. So why not record it in that stage?

> If this matching is practical (and I suspect that it is, given that we already do it in the backends to match horizontal adds), this seems better than using vectorizer-added metadata. In this way, IR generated using vector intrinsics (etc.) can receive the same good code generation as that generated by the vectorizer.

This is a good point. But I am not sure if it is worth the effort to
write a reduction detector for instrinsics. But the whole idea is
flexible to accept any reduction detector.

Cong