[llvm-dev] Linking the FreeBSD base system with lld

Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 21 10:06:18 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 01:41:24PM -0800, Rui Ueyama wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 3:11 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 03:06:17PM -0500, Ed Maste via llvm-dev wrote:
> > > 3. -Y [path]
> > > Used by the 32-bit compat libraries. GNU ld documents this as "add
> > > path to the default library search path." I don't understand exactly
> > > what this option does, versus -L.
> >
> > Option order, it comes after all -L path. For NetBSD, we have slightly
> > different linker scripts for i386-on-amd64, so we don't use -Y.
> >

> GNU ld manual says that -Y is for Solaris compatibility. I'm sort of
> reluctant to support that since it doesn't seems to be popular.

I'm not saying it is terribly useful, just that it differs from -L. I'm
not sure how the 32bit compat libraries are build on FreeBSD. For
NetBSD, we change the default SEARCH_DIR entries in the linker scripts.
For native binary format, it uses =/usr/lib, but for the -m32 equivalent
on amd64, it uses =/usr/lib/i386. That means all the search logic is
isolated in the linker script and no further command line changes are
necessary.

Joerg