[llvm-dev] [GlobalISel] A Proposal for global instruction selection

Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 19 10:07:47 PST 2015

> On Nov 19, 2015, at 9:50 AM, David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On 19 Nov 2015, at 17:49, Quentin Colombet <qcolombet at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> I must miss something, but I don’t get what is the problem of lower the pointer to actual integer.
>
> Pointers, in our architecture, are not integers.

Thanks for the clarifications.

So what you’re saying is that a inttoptr instruction is not a no-op on your architecture, is that right?
Or it can be a no-op only if the consumer of the pointer values can be done on the pointer register bank?

Don’t know if that helps, but note that the registers are not typed, they just have size. The operations are typed.

I am trying to understand the constraint to see how that would fit in the framework. That being said, anything that you could do in SDag should be possible as well in the new framework.

Cheers,
-Quentin