[llvm-dev] Hexagon, DFAPacketizer and instruction expansion

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 18 06:44:37 PST 2015

On 11/17/2015 6:51 PM, Rail Shafigulin via llvm-dev wrote:
> I'm using a Hexagon's packetizer as an example to packetize instructions
> for my custom VLIW. The problem that I'm facing is that my target as it
> turns out doesn't have all the instructions expanded by the time
> packetization happens (for example I have a RET instruction which gets
> expanded into a write to a register and a jump/branch). I'm wondering if
> Hexagon is experiencing the same issue and how it is solved? And if it
> doesn't experience the same what would be the recommendation on solving
> this problem? At the moment, my packetization pass is the last one in
> MyTargetPassConfig::addPreEmitPass()

There is a target-independent pass that will try to expand all pseudo
instructions after register allocation.  For each instruction, it will
check if the instructions is a pseudo-instruction, and if so, it will
call the target hook "expandPostRAPseudo" on that instruction.

Your target will need to implement TargetInstrInfo::expandPostRAPseudo,
and mark RET as a pseudo-instruction.

See lib/CodeGen/ExpandPostRAPseudos.cpp for the expanding pass, and the
"expandPostRAPseudo" functions for individual targets to get an idea of
how they work.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation