[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Propagating llvm.assume across function calls to enhance de-virtualization

Geoff Berry via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 17 08:33:11 PST 2015

Richard, Piotr, thanks for the update.

Richard, to answer your question about cases where propagating assume’s across function calls would improve on the current state of –fstrict-vtable-pointers: one particular case I am interested in benefits from being able to inline a de-virtualized call, as opposed to just reducing the number of vtable lookups.  For example:

class C {

  virtual void f() { … }

  void g();

};

C gC;

void foo() {

    gC.g();

}

void C::g() {

  for (…) {

    f();

  }

}

Assuming the call to C::g doesn’t get inlined into foo, and C::f is profitable to inline.

For the cases where you say that either compile time or performance may be worsened by –fstrict-vtable-pointers, do you have example benchmarks/workloads that run into these cases?  I’m guessing this would be more common if we started adding more vtable assume’s at known dynamic type member access points.

--

Geoff Berry