[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] Help with using LLVM to re-compile hot functions at run-time

Revital1 Eres via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Nov 15 23:22:39 PST 2015

Hi Lang,

OK, thanks for the explanation.

To recompile foo I've created two bc files: main.bc and foo.bc
and called addModule on each. So now after the following getAddress call
for main createResolver function is been called for foo.

auto ExprSymbol = J.findUnmangledSymbol("main");
int (*FP)(int) = (int (*)(int))(intptr_t)ExprSymbol.getAddress();
std::cerr << "Evaluated to " << FP(8) << "\n";

However instead of calling searchFunctionASTs in createResolver
to insert a stub it executes the following.

 if (auto Symbol = findSymbol(Name))
   return RuntimeDyld::SymbolInfo(Symbol.getAddress(),
              Symbol.getFlags());

So my next mission is to  insert the stub as is done in
searchFunctionASTs.
As I'm reading the functions from input IR I do not call HandleDefinition
like it is done in the
examples and thus addFunctionAST is not been called on the function
definition. I wonder how can I
Get the function definition AST from the module returned from addModule.

When I'll have foo's AST I plan to call irGenStub like you have done in
order to recompile.

Thanks again,
Revital