[llvm-dev] Adapting and open-sourcing PGI's Fortran frontend for LLVM

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 14 00:59:26 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Alex Bradbury" <asb at asbradbury.org>

This is obviously a somewhat-tricky question. There is an existing Flang code base and a few people have been working on it. Furthermore, it is still the only one we'll have for the next year. My hope is that, with the participation of the PGI developers, we'll be able to structure our Flang efforts on pieces that we'll be able to pick up and move to the code that PGI is releasing once that happens. Between development on the Driver, ABI support code, and testing and other infrastructure, the community can make substantial progress in 2016. By the end of 2016, we'll combine these pieces with PGI's code, and have a production-quality LLVM Fortran compiler representing the totality of this work.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist