[llvm-dev] [web] sub-domain

C Bergström via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 10 20:51:27 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:39 PM, C Bergström <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> That's like some google inside joke, right? I'm sure the page will be
>> indexed the same as other llvm.org pages and if you put into google
>> "llvm cuda" it will likely come up high on the results (after its
>> indexed)
>>
>> I doubt most of the traffic to that page will be people manually
>> typing the url.. (that's funny)
>

> Your attitude is puzzling. It's one thing to express your disagreement with
> a proposal; it's another to mock fellow contributors who sincerely want to
> make it simpler for new users to get involved with LLVM, anticipating a
> whole new area opening up now that CUDA support is shaping up.

If the content expands beyond a small single page sure that starts to
make sense. His argument was funny, at least in my mind. (Don't take
my comments so seriously)

Since CUDA is an NVIDIA tm and not even an "open" standard - it may
make sense to call the project "gpgpu" or something more generic. This
also opens the door to expand it for other related programming models
in the future. I'm not a lawyer, but there may be some rules about
claiming "cuda compatibility" as well.

To expand on the above - Is sema/parsing and maybe functional tests
being added for cuda syntax? (I realize the functional testing would
be more tricky to setup)

/* I have quite a bit of experience in this area and sincerely willing
to help if I can */