[llvm-dev] Is there a way to convert between SchedMachineModel and Itineraries?

Rail Shafigulin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 10 13:47:40 PST 2015

> 2. Write a new packetizer which will use the SchedMachineModel, however,
>> as I said before, I have a very limited experience with compilers and this
>> looks like some major work. I'm not afraid of it, it is just there is not
>> much information and help available.
>>

> This looks like an opportunity for you to learn something interesting.
> Generating a state machine from a set of constraints is fairly
> straightforward. The only difficultly lies in limiting the total number of
> states so you don’t end up with a giant table. If you were able to express
> those constraints in the machine model they must not be too complicated.
>
> If your state machine is really just modeling the number of functional
> units that can be used by a given VLIW bundle, then you don’t need to
> generate a state machine at all. All you need are counters.
> MachineScheduler can do this for you. It already has some support for
> scheduling instruction groups for a simple in-order machine (without
> plugging in your own scheduler at all). Currently, this isn’t fully
> implemented—it isn’t modeling multiple functional units per cycle. But that
> would be *very* easy to fix and is something I could help with. It’s just
> that no one has asked for it.
>
> Andy

I would love to work on the new packetizer, but (there is always a but
isn't it :) ) we are so resource and schedule constrained that we can't
really devote any time to it. I'm very saddened by it. I think it is a
great project and I would love to be involved in it. Anyways, thanks for
all the help and advice. I really appreciate it.