[llvm-dev] How LLVM guarantee the qualify of the product from the limited test suit?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 10 10:13:29 PST 2015

On 10 November 2015 at 18:03, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> It’s a non-technical concern, but please keep in mind that the GCC testsuite is GPL licensed.  You’re effectively discussing a fork of their testsuite (to which I think that there are a number of technical challenges) but before actually landing it, we’d want to carefully discuss whether it is included as part of the LLVM project.  If you want to pursue this, doing this on github (or some similar service) would be a better place to get started.

Hi Chris,

That's a good point, which I hadn't considered, but I wasn't myself
proposing we merge at all (for technical reasons). Here, I used
"incorporate" as in "the testing harness" not as in "the source tree".
Sorry (again) for the misuse of terms.

My alternative to the original proposal, would be to have bots running
DejaGnu with Clang instead of GCC, but even on that non-legal
scenario, the work to separate signal from noise would still be too
much to warrant any less serious attempts.

cheers,
--renato