[llvm-dev] [RFC] Deprecating autoconf: Let's do it!

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 9 14:42:32 PST 2015

> On Nov 9, 2015, at 8:49 AM, John Reagan via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> As somebody who's currently hosting LLVM on a platform (OpenVMS Itanium) that has configure but not a working CMake (we're working to fix that but there are some tricky issues), I would appreciate if you didn't scrub the existence of configure from the source or the documentation.

Are you proposing that we keep the makefiles? I think we specifically want to get rid of those because it doesn’t make sense to have them around if they aren’t expected to work. I don’t think we will do a concerted scrub of all makefile-related code, but I do expect we’ll remove the configure script and all the makefiles themselves.

We could keep the autoconf documentation around for a release or two with a big “warning” at the top saying the autoconf system is removed in 3.9 and later.

Do you think that is sufficient?

-Chris