[llvm-dev] Self-hosting bots noise

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 9 08:42:35 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 4:32 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
wrote:

> Hi David/Galina,
>
> FYI, I found one big reason why self-hosting bots fail long after the
> offending commit is tested: dirty builds.
>
> In a dirty build (no make clean), when a file X is changed that breaks
> file Y, the bot will only accuse the failure when file Y is changed,
> too, so that stage1 with modified X will compile file Y, and break.

That sounds like a bug in the build system - do you have any examples of
this? We should fix them.

The build should be reliable - any case where a clean build produces a
different result from a dirty build reduces/removes confidence in
incremental builds & hurts developer productivity (just like flakey tests,
etc).

- David