[llvm-dev] RFC: Supporting macros in LLVM debug info

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 3 21:57:01 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 9:46 PM, deadal nix <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to jump in. I do not work on a preprocessor based language, but
> have the same code expansion problem to encode.

Not quite sure whether this proposal will be relevant/help you.

> Right now, we hack around the problem by appending some prefix after the
> file name and pretend it is a different file, which is not great.
>
> I understand you want to represent expansion by DIFileMacro ?

Not quite - the purpose of the DWARF macro feature is to describe the
original preprocessor macros (not their application) so that a user in a
debugger can use those macros when evaluating an expression. Some codebases
are heavily macro dependent, so any user wanting to probe/interact with
those codebases in their debugger needs the debugger to be able to evaluate
expressions that use macros.

> I'm not how this is supposed to be used and it is not in the example.
> Also, could we use DIExpansion or some other non macro specific name ?

Probably not useful/relevant, since the DWARF feature is specifically for
describing macros. Even if it can be used to describe other thingsn (& I'm
not sure whether the things your dealing with would map onto this feature)
we might as well keep with DWARF's taxonomy rather than introducing another
that then has to be mapped into DWARF's taxonomy anyway.

- David