[llvm-dev] Confused on how to do a machinefunction pass

fateme Hoseini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 3 16:54:53 PST 2015

Dear John,
Thank you so much for your help. I looked at those documents. Could you
kindly answer the following questions:

Does it mean that I have to make my own backend target in order to write a
machine pass even if I want to run a simple machinefunction pass?  for
example,if I want my pass to get MIPS instructions as an input, I have to
copy all the files from mips target and add a file to it which implements
my pass. and there should be a way to connect the pass to other MIPS
backend files?

As a result, is the way that I described in my first post completely wrong
because I cannot run a stand alone machine function pass like a frontend
function pass?

Also another question, I'm a PhD student and I'm completely new to the llvm
backend process. I want to estimate my project time. How long approximately
do you think it will take to be get familiar with backend and be able to
write machinefunction pass? for further steps I have to implement a
register allocation algorithm.

Regards,
Fami