[LLVMdev] LLD improvement plan

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Fri May 29 22:14:23 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> that needs to be resolved to include that input chunk properly. This is
>>> more abstract and flexible than the existing design.
>>>
>>> - The atom model reads too much data from files prematurely to construct
>>> a complete graph, while the new design avoided that. This is partly an
>>> implementation's issue, but partly unavoidable, because we actually needed
>>> to build more complex data structure.
>>>
>>> - And this might be stemmed from the implementation and not from the
>>> model itself, but the thing is that it's hard to write code for the atom
>>> model because their data types have too much detailed relations with other
>>> types. For example, any atom in the model has to have a "file" that an atom
>>> was created from. This makes it hard to append linker-generated data to
>>> output which don't have a source file (we ended up having a notion of
>>> "virtual input file" that doesn't do anything meaningful itself.). Another
>>> example is that, if you want to create a symbol on-demand, you've got to
>>> create a "virtual archive" file that returns a "virtual file" containing
>>> one "virtual atom" when the archive file is asked for that symbol. In the
>>> new design, it can be expressed in one line of code instead of multiple
>>> class definitions and object juggling. Also, because relocations are
>>> explicitly represented as "references" in the atom model, we've got to
>>> create platform-specific relocation objects even for linker-generated data
>>> if it refers some other symbols, and let a platform-specific relocation
>>> function to consume that data to apply relocations. That's less abstracted
>>> than the new design, in which all classes but the actual data type needs to
>>> know about relocations are agnostic about how relocations are represented
>>> and how to actually apply them.
>>>

>> These all sound like things that just indicate "we have some refactoring
>> to do", just like Duncan did for debug metadata, or David is doing for the
>> opaque pointer type, or how the Type system has been changed over the
>> years, or how clang's template parsing is changed to be compatible with
>> weird MSVC behavior. Is there something about the current situation with
>> LLD that made you think that refactoring was hopeless and required a
>> rewrite? If what we currently have doesn't fit our use cases, why not just
>> fix it?
>>

> I don't think these points indicate a need of refactoring. Or the meaning
> of refactoring is too broad. "Atom has only one name" is a baked in
> assumption everywhere (like "in SSA variables are assigned only once").
> "Atom has data" is another assumption. "Relocations are represented as
> graph edges" is yet another. Or "everything is represented using atoms and
> references". These design choices are made at the beginning, and they are
> everywhere. If you change them, you have to update virtually all code. Then
> what's the point of refactoring compared to creating a new foundation +
> move code on it? I found that the former is difficult to do.

One of the standard reasons to prefer refactoring, even though it appears
to take longer or be more difficult, is that it allows you to always keep
all tests green. It is very easy for things to slip through the cracks and
not promptly return to being green on a "from-scratch" version. This
ultimately turns into bug reports later and the feature needs to be
reimplemented; the apparent simplicity of the "from-scratch" version can
disappear very rapidly.

In the refactoring approach you are forced to incorporate a holistic
understanding of the necessary features into your simplification efforts,
since the tests keep you from accidentally disregarding necessary features.

It is very easy to accidentally buy simplicity at the cost of losing
features; if you eventually need the features back then the apparent
simplicity is an illusion.

-- Sean Silva