[LLVMdev] LLD improvement plan

Rafael Espíndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Fri May 29 06:43:51 PDT 2015

> 2) I think the ELF camp still thinks that linkers are “dumb”.  That they
> just collate .o files into executable files.  The darwin linker does a lot
> of processing/optimizing the content (e.g. Objective-C optimizing, dead
> stripping, function/data re-ordering).  This is why atom level granularity
> is needed.

If there is any linker in here that is dumb that is the old lld. It
reads parts of the file it doesn't need, it can't optimize exception
frames, --gc-section is not working, strings are not tail merged and
it takes about 2x the cpu time of gold even with gold doing all those
things.

Rui's new design finally given us the opportunity of making an useful
linker out of lld.

Cheers,
Rafael