[LLVMdev] [RFC] Upstreaming LLVM/SPIR-V converter

Neil Henning llvm at duskborn.com
Tue May 26 14:37:17 PDT 2015

Hey Daniel!

So based on Philip and Chandler's points I really think the easiest way
to integrate SPIR-V with LLVM is how I originally envisaged it - EG. we
only put the production of SPIR-V within LLVM, and we integrate it fully
as a backend.

It was under this assumption that my comment of "don't regress tests" is
valid - EG. we would be a normal backend like the other backends and
would have a similar testing approach to the other backends. In this
regard the changes you mentioned that David Blaikie is doing wouldn't in
theory require any extra work on his or anyone else's part.

I think if we follow this approach we provide the easiest method to
integrate with LLVM, while putting no additional burden on the common
infrastructure that is worrying the community so much :)

Cheers,
-Neil.