[LLVMdev] LLVM 3.7 release plans

Hans Wennborg hans at chromium.org
Tue May 26 09:57:23 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

There is still some time to go, but I would like to share my
preliminary plan for 3.7.

The idea is to keep us on the 6-month release cycle, which means:

- Branch for 3.7 on 14 July 2015
- Release 3.7 end of August (absolutely no later than 4 September)

I also have a few things I'd like to try this time:

- Announce the first release candidate on llvm-announce to encourage
more early testing. Last time many issues were raised late in the
process. I'm sure that will happen this time too, but announcing the
RC to a wider audience might help mitigate some of that.

- Using CMake for the release binaries. I think I promised we'd do
this for 3.7. I haven't actually started looking at this yet, but I'm
still optimistic.

- Provide a tarball with the docs and doxygen as part of the release.

- PGP signatures on pre-built binaries: the person who builds the
binary should sign it (unless you think this is too involved).

- Not including Dragonegg in the release; it seems pretty unmaintaned by now.

Please let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Hans