[LLVMdev] Moving Private Label Prefixes from MCAsmInfo to MCObjectFileInfo

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Fri May 22 16:08:52 PDT 2015

ARM already has a similar problem, where the prefix on Darwin is not the same as it is on Linux. It sounds like your situation is a bit more complicated, though.

> On May 22, 2015, at 11:49 AM, Daniel Sanders <Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com> wrote:
>
> > Why isn't the ABI reflected in the triple?
>
> Unfortunately, there's no easy answer to that. Some targets are better than others but generally speaking triples are very ambiguous. For example, in (most) GCC mips-linux-gnu/mips64-linux-gnu toolchains both triples produce 32-bit big-endian binaries for MIPS-I by default. Vendors can override the majority of this so it's entirely possible for mips-foo-linux-gnu to produce 64-bit little endian binaries for Mips64r6 by default. Additionally, when given the -EL option, mips-linux-gnu will produce little endian binaries despite having a big-endian triple. The same applies to a lot of our code generation options. The most complicated one I'm aware of is mips-mti-linux-gnu which can produce code for nearly any Mips target when given the right options.
>
> The main issue I have at the moment is with the N32 and N64 ABI's. These are ILP32 and LP64 respectively, are mutually incompatible, and have traditionally used the same triple.
> There's an ARM example of the same problem at https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Tuples#Why_not_use_GNU_triplets.3F <https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Tuples#Why_not_use_GNU_triplets.3F>. In that example, hard-float and soft-float both used arm-linux-gnueabi but were mutually incompatible. The Multiarch tuples described on that page are an attempt to resolve the ambiguity but I'm told that they aren't likely to be universally adopted.
>
> Maybe, a better solution is to have a clean break from traditional triples and have a translation layer to convert traditional triples into a new set of unambiguous LLVM tuples. Ideally, frontends wouldn't have to worry too much about the details of this and can just set some options for the target and be told the correct LLVM tuple to use.

This is the key question. The LLVM assumption is that these sorts of things are inferable from the triple. Your observation here that the GNU world’s notion of triples and LLVM’s need not be the same is a good one. Having a split and a translation up in clang seems an interesting avenue to explore. I suspect this won’t be the last of this sort of issue you’ll encounter, unfortunately. Smarter LLVM layer triples is very worth exploring. Darwin puts things like deployment target version numbers in the triple (arm64-apple-ios8.3, e.g.). Having something to distinguish between ELF32 vs. ELF64, or whatever else, be explicit in the LLVM triple seems reasonable.