[LLVMdev] Implement a Register Allocator in LLVM

Natanael Ramos naelr8 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 14:18:04 PDT 2015

I'm working on my project for completion undergraduate courses, consisting
of an experimental analysis of registers allocation algorithms. For this
task, I am using the set of tools from the LLVM project.

However, I have read the documentation of the LLVM project and not yet
found a way to put the pieces of the puzzle together. So far I know:

   - As passes work as engage them to LLVM and know I must implement
   MachineFunctionPass pass.

   - I follow some suggestions to look at the Basic Allocator code, but
   could not understand much.

The allocator I intend to implement is based on graph coloring heuristics,
as the theory of operation of such methods I'm well aware.

So I look for is some sort of "How to", a defined set of steps to implement
such allocator. It sounds like carelessness, but I have to deliver the work
in about six months and I'm a little confused.

If anyone can give me some guidance or reference to any supporting material
(besides the own documentation), I would be grateful.

My English may be a little wrong, I am a Brazilian student.

--
Natanael Ramos
Membro do corpo discente de Ciência da Computação pelo Instituto Federal de