[LLVMdev] [RFC] Upstreaming LLVM/SPIR-V converter

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Tue May 19 16:05:15 PDT 2015

> On May 19, 2015, at 9:48 AM, Neil Henning <llvm at duskborn.com> wrote:
>
> The 'backend' in this context is purely so that we can then enable Clang to target SPIR-V in the same consistent manner to all the other targets it supports.

This seems like a terrible reason to choose the architecture of how it’s implemented in LLVM.  The clang driver is part of the LLVM project.  If we need to add support for some kind of special SPIR-V flag akin to -emit-llvm, we can do that.  If a particular frontend vendor wants to customize the flags, they can always do so themselves.

—Owen