[LLVMdev] New EH representation for MSVC compatibility

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Mon May 18 16:12:31 PDT 2015

On 05/18/2015 11:53 AM, Reid Kleckner wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Kaylor, Andrew
> <andrew.kaylor at intel.com <mailto:andrew.kaylor at intel.com>> wrote:
>
>     I like the way this sorts out with regard to funclet code
>     generation.  It feels very natural for Windows EH, though
>     obviously not as natural for non-Windows targets and I think it is
>     likely to block some optimizations that are currently possible
>     with those targets.
>

> Right, it will block some of today's optimizations by default. I'm OK
> with this because we can add those optimizations back by checking if
> the personality is Itanium-family (sjlj, arm, or dwarf), and

> optimizing EH codepaths is not usually performance critical.
Leaving aside the rest of the thread, I feel the need to refute this
point in isolation.  I've found that optimizing (usually simplifying and
eliminating) exception paths ends up being *extremely* important for my
workloads.  Failing to optimize exception paths sufficiently tends to
indirectly hurt things like inlining for example.  Any design which
starts with the assumption that optimizing exception paths isn't
important is going to be extremely problematic for me.