[LLVMdev] [RFC] Upstreaming LLVM/SPIR-V converter

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Sun May 17 00:13:34 PDT 2015

> On May 16, 2015, at 12:21 PM, Liu, Yaxun (Sam) <Yaxun.Liu at amd.com> wrote:
>
> I am thinking maybe the functionality of the bi-way conversion can be kept at llvm/lib/Bitcode/SPIRV, which will facilitate OpenCL vendors to do conversions between LLVM and SPIR-V. On the other hand, we create a llvm/Target/SPIR-V, which uses llvm/lib/Bitcode/SPIRV to generate SPIR-V. The SPIR-V target allows Clang and other LLVM front ends to target generic OpenCL/Vulkan platforms.

I don’t think Chris was suggesting lib/Bitcode/SPIRV.  That wouldn’t make a lot of sense, since Bitcode != SPIR-V.

FWIW, I agree with Chris that it makes sense as a parallel to lib/Bitcode.  SPIR-V is (almost) an alternate encoding of LLVM IR, with a few things added/removed, and it makes sense to treat it in a similar manner to our normal serialization format.

—Owen