[LLVMdev] RFC: ThinLTO Impementation Plan

Teresa Johnson tejohnson at google.com
Thu May 14 14:31:13 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:35 PM Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > For some bits, sure. Optimizing for ar seems a bit silly, why not 'ld
>> > -r'?
>>
>> But as mentioned, ld -r can work on native object wrapped bitcode
>> without a plugin as well.
>>

> How? It's not like any partial linking is going to go on inside the bitcode
> if the linker doesn't understand bitcode.

It allows us to delay the actual linking until the full link step,
thereby enabling ThinLTO on those modules.

As we discussed offline, the current ld -r behavior with the plugin is
to compile all the way down to machine code. The alternative if we use
straight bitcode is to tell the plugin to stop early after combining
the bitcode and emit bitcode back out, with the thinlto function info
also combined.

>> > Agreed. The ar situation is interesting because one thing we discussed
>> > after
>> > you wandered off was just adding a ToC section to bitcode as it is and
>> > then
>> > having the tools handle that. Would seem to accomplish at least the
>> > goals as
>> > I've seen them up to this point without worrying too much.
>>
>> The ToC section is a way we can encode the function index/summary into
>> bitcode, but won't help integrate with existing tools. The main issue
>> we are trying to solve is integrating transparently with existing
>> binutils tools in use in our build system and probably elsewhere.
>>

> Right. I'm not entirely sure what use we're going to see in the existing
> tools that we want to encompass here. There's some of it for convenience
> (i.e. nm etc for developers), but they can use a tool that understands
> bitcode and we can make the existing llvm tools suffice for these needs.

My understanding from our discussion is that the llvm versions of
those tools do not accept native object files, so that is not
something that will work in the short term.

The best alternative to native wrapped bitcode seems to be relying on
the plugin (and changing its behavior for ld -r). Which means that the
ability to use some of the tools from the native toolchain out of the
box, and build systems such as ours have to be taught to use it.