[LLVMdev] [WinEH] A hiccup for the Windows C++ exception handling

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Thu May 14 09:12:10 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Kaylor, Andrew <andrew.kaylor at intel.com>
wrote:

>  I made some progress this afternoon.  I now have a set of changes in my
> local sandbox that allows clang to pass all of the tests in the suite I’ve
> been using to exercise this code.
>

> How do you feel about working these changes into trunk to establish a
> working baseline, even knowing that parts of this are going to be
> redesigned?

I guess I'm kind of ambivalent about continuing in the current direction.
It doesn't hurt, but if it provides someone with basic functionality for
now, then that's OK. On the other hand, the tests won't be particularly
valuable because Clang is going to emit new LLVM IR, so they'll need to be
redone.

I also think that, given that the rewrite will take at least a month, we
should turn MSVC C++ exceptions off by default in Clang until it's ready.
We need some hidden flag that isn't /EHs. I'm already tired of getting bug
reports along the lines of "clang crashed while compiling MSVC-style
exceptions". Of course, the user can't tell from the crash that the
workaround is just "turn off exceptions until they work". =/