[LLVMdev] Modifying debug information through llvm pass

Riyad Parvez riyad.parvez at uwaterloo.ca
Tue May 12 19:59:01 PDT 2015

Hi All,

I want to change debug information of an llvm instruction so that the
modified debug info is subsequently passed to executable binary. So if I
use "addr2line" utility on the binary, it will return my modified debug
information.

I've tried to change by using the following code snippet:

    MDNode *N = Inst->getMetadata("dbg");
    DebugLoc Loc = DebugLoc::get(newLine, newCol, N);
    Inst->setDebugLoc(Loc);

I read the DebugLoc back by using

    const DebugLoc D = Inst->getDebugLoc();
    unsigned Line = D.getLine();
    outs() << Line <<"\n";

But I can't set the debug info correctly. How can I change the debug
info correctly through llvm pass?

Thanks
Riyad