[LLVMdev] Code Owner for OpenMP (runtime)

Andrey Bokhanko andreybokhanko at gmail.com
Fri May 1 02:11:58 PDT 2015

All,

Chris Bergström and Chandler Carruth made code ownership-related
comments in another thread
(http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2015-April/085068.html);
let me answer on them here:

Chandler wrote:
> - I agree with finding some non-Intel folks to add as explicit code owners.
> I don't know who has been sufficiently involved, but if Hal makes sense,
> awesome.

While I'm always happy to see more maintainers (which means better
chance to get code reviewed!) and Hal is an all-around good guy, this,
IMHO, sets a bad and dangerous precedent.

If code ownership for libiomp by someone employed by Intel means
"Intel runtime owned and controlled by Intel", then why ownership of
libc++ by Marshall Clow (from Qualcomm) is not judged on the same
grounds ("Qualcomm runtime owned and controlled by Qualcomm")? Same
for LLDB (owned by Greg Clayton from Apple), Sanitizers (owned by
Kostya and Evgeniy Stepanov, both from Google), etc, etc?

This simply goes against the basic principle of open-source
development: the person who wrote most of the code / most active in
development recently is the natural choice for code ownership. His/her
affiliation is not relevant at all. To have this rule broken
specifically for Intel is quite amusing, to say the least.

Also, in the very same message, Chris wrote:

> It doesn't really feel that way. I proposed a cmake patch and the only
> person to review or comment was Intel. (This is coming from the person
> who ported it to ARM)

So, Chris submitted a patch and this patch got reviewed by someone
from Intel and nobody else. By definition, this Intel person served as
a good code owner. What's the problem with this and what outcome Chris
expected -- his patch to be NOT reviewed?!

To finish this rant, let's give Andrey Churbanov a chance and judge
him as everyone else being judged here -- by his own merits. So far he
did very well! -- I challenge everyone to present a single example of
getting bad treatment from Andrey ("Speak now or forever hold your
peace", or so they say... :-))

Yours,
Andrey Bokhanko
Software Engineer