[LLVMdev] Question about shouldMergeGEPs in InstructionCombining

Mark Heffernan meheff at google.com
Mon Mar 30 11:08:27 PDT 2015

I implemented this optimization within CGP and it helped several of our
benchmarks as well as addressing Francois' original issue for powerpc.
It's pretty general and shouldn't negatively impact the ability to take
advantage of free address computation in the fancy addressing modes of some
processors.

However, when writing it I realized a better place to put this might be
what is now called the "SeparateConstOffsetFromGEP" pass.  It performs two
related GEP optimizations late in compilation very close to CGP:
reassociating constants in GEP expressions and splittling GEPs.  This new
pass would be able to share a good chunk of existing code as well (hoisting
values out index expressions).  Sound reasonable?

Mark