[LLVMdev] `llvm.$op.with.overflow`, InstCombine and ScalarEvolution

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Fri Mar 27 00:00:47 PDT 2015

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 11:52 PM, Sanjoy Das <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com> wrote:
>
>> If we don't care about trying to optimize out overflow checks in
>> InstCombine, I'd go with moving the complexity to CGP.
>
> I think instcombine should optimize out overflow checks (as it does
> today) without introducing _with_overflow calls.  Are there reasons
> why such an approach would not work?

I agree. I think that approach would work in any case simple enough for InstCombine to otherwise convert the same compare/branch into a with_overflow intrinsic.

I think the problem we run into is that we also want to optimize the _with_overflow cases that are generated by some frontends. We are stuck with some duplication of effort.

Either way, I think the optimizer should handle compare-and-branch idioms first and foremost.

Andy