[LLVMdev] MCJIT finalizeObject output to use in external process

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Thu Mar 26 12:52:55 PDT 2015

You don’t need to put all the sections in the same memory block or maintain the same offsets that had on the host.  What I meant was that each section must be in a contiguous block of memory.

Depending on the memory model you specify when compiling the code you made need to guarantee that all sections are within 2GB of one another, but how you meet this requirement is at your discretion.  Apart from that, MCJIT will take care of applying relocations to account for the relative location of each section in the remote process according to the addresses you provided in calls to mapSectionAddress.

Another thing your custom memory manager may need to do that I forgot to mention is handle linking of external functions needed by the generated code.  For in-process execution MCJIT will automatically link to things like standard library functions that it recognizes using the implementation of those functions in the host process.  For out-of-process execution, your memory manager will need to perform this task.  MCJIT will call your memory manager’s getSymbolAddress function if it encounters a call to an external function.

-Andy