[LLVMdev] Moving towards a singular pointer type

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 03:46:32 PDT 2015

Hi David,

On 18 Feb 2015, at 06:47, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) add explicit types where required in IR instructions - gep, load, byval, anything else I can find...
>   a) Provide the mechanism to specify it (in textual IR, bitcode, and LLVM IR APIs)
>   b) Update callers to Clang, LLVM, and Polly, to pass that information (initially just asserting that it's the same information as was provided by the typed-pointer operands)

Thank you very much for providing a script for updating the test cases.  This was immensely valuable for updating our out-of-tree tests.

One thing that our update showed, however, was that the script did not work for GEPs that had a non-zero address space pointer as the base.  Most of our tests had at least one such GEP, but given that you didn't encounter this problem it looks like there's a fairly substantial gap in test coverage in LLVM.  People with in-tree targets that support multiple address spaces might want to take a look at this omission...

David