[LLVMdev] RFC - Improvements to PGO profile support

Xinliang David Li xinliangli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:03:01 PDT 2015

The design is basically to augment the existing frequency data with one
64bit data which is the global hotness of the function entry (e.g. it be
the entry execution count). With the execution count available, the BB
 count (or global hotness if you will) is simply:

  count(BB)  = freq (BB) * count(ENTRY)/freq(ENTRY)

You can view count(ENTRY) as an extension to the current 'hot'/'cold'
attribute

Note that for IPA, callsite count is obtained from enclosing BB's count.

David