[LLVMdev] RFC - Improvements to PGO profile support

Xinliang David Li davidxl at google.com
Tue Mar 24 10:27:25 PDT 2015

Diego and I have discussed this according to the feedback received. We
have revised plan for this (see Diego's last reply).  Here is a more
detailed re-cap:

1) keep MD_prof definition as it is today; also keep using the
frequency propagation as it is (assuming programs with irreducible
loops are not common and not important. If it turns out to be
otherwise, we will revisit this).
2) fix all problems that lead to wrong 'frequency/count' computed from
the frequency propagation algorithm
   2.1) relax 32bit limit
   2.2) remove 4096 iteration count cap
   2.3) remove the 'laplace rule of succession' which can be very harmful
   2.4) Fix the bug in  'BranchProbabilityInfo::calcMetadataWeights'
that does capping without scaling
   2.5) Fix a similar bug in 'MachineBranchProbabilityInfo::getSumForBlock('
    .. other bugs found
3) introduce a new meta data to represent function entry global
hotness (the implementation can choose to use entry execution count)
4) implement frequency/profile update interfaces for Inline
transformations -- i.e., allowing importing callee's profile info into
caller with scaling factor computed from callsite count and callee
entry count
5) Implement mechanism to compute, record and use profile program
summary data (This will be discussed separately).

thanks,

David