[LLVMdev] New kind of metadata to capture LLVM IR linking structure

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 13:53:33 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Khilan Gudka <Khilan.Gudka at cl.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I appreciate the feedback and it looks like recording the information
> using MD nodes may not have been the right choice.

Just to be clear - there's a few different flavors of metadata. One of them
is explicitly typed/built in to LLVM (such as the debug info metadata
you're seeing), but there's a generic unstructured metadata you can use
that doesn't require modifications to LLVM. Though you might still need
changes to whatever bitcode linking tool you're using to insert your custom
metadata, but it shouldn't be too invasive, I'd imagine?

> I quite like the idea of having the build system dump the library
> information.

*nod* I'd certainly consider options like this.