[LLVMdev] Publication: Experimental Evaluation of Register Pressure Reduction Huristics

Ghassan Shobaki ghassan_shobaki at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 22:46:02 PDT 2015

“Experimental Evaluation of Various Register Pressure ReductionHeuristics”. GhassanShobaki, Laith Sakka,  Najm Eldeen Abu-Rmaileh and HasanAl-Hamash. Software: Practice and Experience. Wiley Online Library, DOI: 10.1002/spe.2297,Nov. 2014, to be included in an issue.
This work was mostly done in the summer of 2013 and was discussed on this mailing list back then, but journal papers take a relatively long time to publish. The part that was not discussed on this list is the simple but effective heuristic that we call LUC_CP. This basic heuristic has given a surprisingly good overall performance on x86 in our environment. This heuristic is currently implemented as a research prototype, using our own infrastructure that has lots of redundancies and non-standard data structures. It'd be great if someone in the LLVM community is interested in implementing this as a clean and compact patch. That could result in a good default heuristic for out-of-order targets.

Regards
Ghassan ShobakiAssistant ProfessorDepartment of Computer SciencePrincess Sumaya Universityfor TechnologyAmman, JordanResearch Web Site: https://sites.google.com/site/psutcompiler/