[LLVMdev] n-bit bytes for clang/llvm

Patrik Hägglund H patrik.h.hagglund at ericsson.com
Wed Mar 18 00:52:50 PDT 2015

Hi Tyro,

You seems to suggest that one way to avoid the problem of implementing 16-bit bytes at the C level, would be to use 8-bit bytes instead. ;-) If the target has 16 bits as the addressable unit of storage, then byte pointers would be implemented as “fat pointers”. Yes, this would probably be possible. But we haven’t tried it, both because of backward compatibility concerns (for legacy C code), and because of the performance implications that you point out. (Our target also have 16-bit registers dedicated for pointers.)

/Patrik Hägglund