[LLVMdev] Target-specific defaults for LLVM tools?

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Tue Mar 17 12:11:54 PDT 2015

> However, issues start to pop up when we consider all the other tools (opt,
> llc,
> and so on) and the complications of having for example a "cross-llc". Usage
> of
> such tools is becoming increasingly likely thanks to the existence of other
> tools and frontends which can generate LLVM IR. Some crazy people might even
> try
> to write IR instead of C++! :-)
llc / opt and similar tools are intended for LLVM developer use and
should never be exposed to end-user. Therefore, things like
"cross-llc" and similar do not make any sense.

If, for some particular weird reason, there is need for e.g. 'opt'
functionality to be provided to users, then a new tool with clear
command line should be developed implementing the necessary
functionality.

> Currently, there is a non-trivial number of LLVM tests that do not set the full
> triple, but only parts of it, and then rely on specific default code generation
> options.
In most cases this should be considered as a bug - the test should be
precise and therefore ought to be fixed.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov