[LLVMdev] Thoughts about ExecutionEngine/MCJIT interface

Lang Hames lhames at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 18:39:02 PDT 2015

Hi Pawel,

I agree. ExecutionEngine, in its current form, is unhelpful. I'd be in
favor of cutting the common interface back to something like:

class ExecutionEngine {
public:
  virtual void addModule(std::unique_ptr<Module> M) = 0;
  virtual void* getGlobalValueAddress(const GlobalValue *GV) = 0;
  virtual GenericValue runFunction(const Function *F,
                                   const std::vector<GenericValue> &Args) =
0;
};

That's the obvious common functionality that both the interpreter and MCJIT
provide. Beyond that I think things get pretty implementation specific.

For what it's worth, this is an issue that I'm trying to address with the
new Orc JIT APIs. Those expose the internals directly to give you more
control. If you don't want to be able to switch the underlying
execution-engine, they may be a good fit for your use-case.

Cheers,
Lang.