[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Mar 11 06:45:11 PDT 2015

On 11 March 2015 at 13:06, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
> So that we can drop autotools, which currently requires anyone wanting
> to change the build to install an old version of autoconf, among other
> pains. Having two build systems is a way bigger pain than someone
> having to install cmake.

Can you explain why we need to upgrade CMake to drop autotools?

> I still don't see why we should *ever* take the package management
> into consideration if we are OK at all with asking OS X and Windows
> users to manually install something.

It's the nature of Linux package management. I explained a bit on my
previous email.

> In my experience the claim that
> Linux is a more common for development doesn't hold. I personally use
> it on a desktop and OS X on a laptop, but most developers I have seem
> have a mix of Windows and OS X.

Let's not make this a Windows vs Linux more than it already is,
please. We have all three usages, and that's all we should care about.

cheers,
--renato